Learn how to join our server and start playing in 60 seconds!
Play Now
  • Hey Guest, If you have any suggestions regarding the Forums/Website we would love to hear them!

Denied Global Automatic Daily Mute Bans

Status
Not open for further replies.

opticyclic

Epic Pika
Minecraft username:
opticyclic​

Suggestion:
Automatic Daily Mute Bans​

Detailed description:
Run a task at end of day that searches the logs for common words submitted in chat reports.
Then automatically ban/mute the players who typed them.

Assuming you are on linux, a simple command in the log dir to output all instances in all the logs would be

zgrep -ri swearword *

There are plenty of public profanity lists to make it effective.

NOTE:
This isn't a suggestion to add a chat filter, since that has been denied (for some reason) multiple times.​

Reason(s):
There is lots of obvious swearing - it isn't people being creative how they spell either.

Creating a chat report on the forum takes time for the players.
Proceeding these reports takes time for staff.

Running a batch job removes this effort and is a small step to making the server cleaner.

Nothing is exhaustive so people will get around some of it.
Bring a batch task people won't know which word triggered it until they are banned which makes it harder to work around​

cOdEx567

Ultimate Legendary Pika
I totally agree, it will make its much easier! +1

PyroInDaBus

Ultimate Legendary Pika
Minecraft username:
opticyclic

Suggestion:
Automatic Daily Mute Bans

Detailed description:
Run a task at end of day that searches the logs for common words submitted in chat reports.

Then automatically ban/mute the players who typed them.

Assuming you are on linux, a simple command in the log dir to output all instances in all the logs would be

zgrep -ri swearword *

There are plenty of public profanity lists to make it effective.

NOTE:

This isn't a suggestion to add a chat filter, since that has been denied (for some reason) multiple times.

Reason(s):
There is lots of obvious swearing - it isn't people being creative how they spell either.

Creating a chat report on the forum takes time for the players.

Proceeding these reports takes time for staff.

Running a batch job removes this effort and is a small step to making the server cleaner.

Nothing is exhaustive so people will get around some of it.

Bring a batch task people won't know which word triggered it until they are banned which makes it harder to work around
Hey,

This surely sounds like a great addiotion, in theory, however, I have some reservations about implementing such a system...

Please note that this is only my personal opinion.

Firstly, context is crucial when it comes to language, words can mean different things depending on the situation. An automatic system might not understand the difference and could unfairly punish players. This could upset many people who feel they were treated wrongly.

Secondly, players are smart and often find ways to avoid automatic bans by changing how they spell words. This means that the developers would constantly need to update the system, which could be a lot of work.

Also, from a technical side, checking all the chats every day could take a lot of computer power and time. The community and development team would also need to keep updating the list of bad words.

I this is a great idea, and I believe we need a more refined approach. We could use an automated system to mark potential rule-breaking for a staff member to review, keep using player reports which are really helpful, and maybe look into advanced AI that gets the context better. We can consider a system that flags potential swearing for a staff check, but in a way, we already have this with our current reporting system. It's important wee continue to encourage players to report any issues, as they play a big role in keeping the server a great place, and the staff go through them.

In the end, we want a friendly server where everyone feels treated fairly. Your idea is a good start, but it might need some changes to work best for everyone.

notknown876

Legendary Pika
Hey,

This surely sounds like a great addiotion, in theory, however, I have some reservations about implementing such a system...

Please note that this is only my personal opinion.

Firstly, context is crucial when it comes to language, words can mean different things depending on the situation. An automatic system might not understand the difference and could unfairly punish players. This could upset many people who feel they were treated wrongly.

Secondly, players are smart and often find ways to avoid automatic bans by changing how they spell words. This means that the developers would constantly need to update the system, which could be a lot of work.

Also, from a technical side, checking all the chats every day could take a lot of computer power and time. The community and development team would also need to keep updating the list of bad words.

I this is a great idea, and I believe we need a more refined approach. We could use an automated system to mark potential rule-breaking for a staff member to review, keep using player reports which are really helpful, and maybe look into advanced AI that gets the context better. We can consider a system that flags potential swearing for a staff check, but in a way, we already have this with our current reporting system. It's important wee continue to encourage players to report any issues, as they play a big role in keeping the server a great place, and the staff go through them.

In the end, we want a friendly server where everyone feels treated fairly. Your idea is a good start, but it might need some changes to work best for everyone.
I have been waiting for you to reply in one of my suggestions cause I really love your big detailed replies.

PyroInDaBus

Ultimate Legendary Pika
I have been waiting for you to reply in one of my suggestions cause I really love your big detailed replies.
My pleasure, I liked this suggestion. A tip tho, check if something has been suggested before posting.

What did you think of my reply?

Last edited:

iFlyYT

Hello there!

It is an interesting idea, however I do believe that it would not be accepted for a few reasons, to start, context. Context is very important, lets say that a player says something that violates the swearing rule but it is not to be rude but rather as an example, to perhaps simply quote something that someone else had said or to give an example of what breaks this very rule.

Not only that but if players learn that there is an auto moderating system, then they were just come up with easy bypasses, and you cannot catch each and every bypass and by the time that it is recognised that the system is not so practical, these bypasses could be argued as something else, as it is not an official word or sorts. Of course this happens normally but it could be more frequent than currently.

Furthermore, less of a staff team. Having a community requires moderators, if you give less of a job for the moderation team, there is less for them to moderate and therefore learns less, and could even get relaxed and used to not punishing rule breakers. If something stops becoming an issue, staff members may get more relaxed and tend to not work as hard to keep the community from breaking rules, and it gives them less experience to receive the promotion that they require. Though to be fair, this is not the best reasoning, it is all more of a theory, it is dependent on the staff member as well as the other responsibilities of theirs as well as tests.

But the cherry on top of this - already punished. What if a user got already punished? You cannot exactly expect it to check the history of a player, as you need to consider misspellings and further offenses, and with rules changing all the time, it would be complicated and not worth it for the developer team to constantly update the rules in the system, I'm not sure about Pika's rules (I'm from another CraftiGames server, leaving my thoughts, we use a system where if a message is sent in a party chat, we do not punish as it is with friends) however if it is similar to what I mentioned in the brackets, then the Developers may need to make an entire system in order to recognise the origin of the message, though to be fair, they could already have one but I wouldn't see a reason for them to have one at the moment.

Oh and an edit, forgot to mention but going through THOUSANDS of messages in order just to punish? That would use some resources of the server, which at that point, is more beneficial to use a message event but then that is just more similar to a filter at that point, unless you add it to a database and punish at the end of the day, which then leads to the issue of already punished which I guess it could check the punishment beforehand but then that is just doing more work to just have a system which already has flaws mentioned above.

UpperGround

Great Reporter
Hello there!

It is an interesting idea, however I do believe that it would not be accepted for a few reasons, to start, context. Context is very important, lets say that a player says something that violates the swearing rule but it is not to be rude but rather as an example, to perhaps simply quote something that someone else had said or to give an example of what breaks this very rule.

Not only that but if players learn that there is an auto moderating system, then they were just come up with easy bypasses, and you cannot catch each and every bypass and by the time that it is recognised that the system is not so practical, these bypasses could be argued as something else, as it is not an official word or sorts. Of course this happens normally but it could be more frequent than currently.

Furthermore, less of a staff team. Having a community requires moderators, if you give less of a job for the moderation team, there is less for them to moderate and therefore learns less, and could even get relaxed and used to not punishing rule breakers. If something stops becoming an issue, staff members may get more relaxed and tend to not work as hard to keep the community from breaking rules, and it gives them less experience to receive the promotion that they require. Though to be fair, this is not the best reasoning, it is all more of a theory, it is dependent on the staff member as well as the other responsibilities of theirs as well as tests.

But the cherry on top of this - already punished. What if a user got already punished? You cannot exactly expect it to check the history of a player, as you need to consider misspellings and further offenses, and with rules changing all the time, it would be complicated and not worth it for the developer team to constantly update the rules in the system, I'm not sure about Pika's rules (I'm from another CraftiGames server, leaving my thoughts, we use a system where if a message is sent in a party chat, we do not punish as it is with friends) however if it is similar to what I mentioned in the brackets, then the Developers may need to make an entire system in order to recognise the origin of the message, though to be fair, they could already have one but I wouldn't see a reason for them to have one at the moment.

Oh and an edit, forgot to mention but going through THOUSANDS of messages in order just to punish? That would use some resources of the server, which at that point, is more beneficial to use a message event but then that is just more similar to a filter at that point, unless you add it to a database and punish at the end of the day, which then leads to the issue of already punished which I guess it could check the punishment beforehand but then that is just doing more work to just have a system which already has flaws mentioned above.
I agree sir ifly this is a really good opinion thank you for your feedback

OP
OP
opticyclic

opticyclic

Epic Pika
Hello there!

Thanks for taking the time to make a considered response.

This suggestion isn't supposed to be an exhaustive and bulletproof solution.
The point is just to take care of the most obvious cases.
The mod team can then handle the cases where people are being creative.

You are correct in that context counts for a lot.
Quoting someone else swearing is also against the rules though.

You'd actually be surprised that going through 1000s of messages isn't actually any strain on a server at all.
Grep can easily search a 1GB file in a few seconds.

Discussing the implementation isn't really the purpose of this forum though.

iFlyYT

Thanks for taking the time to make a considered response.

This suggestion isn't supposed to be an exhaustive and bulletproof solution.
The point is just to take care of the most obvious cases.
The mod team can then handle the cases where people are being creative.

You are correct in that context counts for a lot.
Quoting someone else swearing is also against the rules though.

You'd actually be surprised that going through 1000s of messages isn't actually any strain on a server at all.
Grep can easily search a 1GB file in a few seconds.

Discussing the implementation isn't really the purpose of this forum though.
The issue with this is that it would cause issues to the Network, the system that is currently in place works and does not cause any issues, however the system that is being proposed is not that effective and can cause many issues.

In regards to the "Discussing the implementation isn't really the purpose of this forum though.", to an extent, it is. It is intended for the community to leave their thoughts on a suggestion, otherwise, there is no point for suggestions to actually be public to the users.

Arrly

Staff Member
Admin
Hello opticyclic,

Thank you for your interest in creating a suggestion to improve the server. We are always doing our best to make the server a better place for everyone.
However, we have eventually decided to deny your suggestion due to the following reason(s):
  • This would lead to miscommunication and potentially false punishments.
For your reference, here is a link to our suggestion guidelines → PikaNetwork Suggestion Guidelines.
Please make sure to read and understand them before suggesting again.

We also advise you to use our Thread Search Feature to look for (similar) already made suggestions and upvote them instead.
Have fun playing on PikaNetwork!

Status
Not open for further replies.